Busting those myths about selling your home
You may call them myths, old wives’ tales or fables, but we all have stories to tell and advice to give about buying and selling property. Some could sound more like nightmares, others straight out of a work of fiction. As they say, to be forewarned is to be forearmed, and that’s why we are busting some myths, so you’re in the best position when you do decide to sell your home.
“I know the value of my home”
Or should we say, “I know what I want for my property”, or, “I think my property is worth XX, and I will not take a penny less!”
We wish we could always recommend placing your property on the market for the price you are seeking, but sadly if you want to sell your home you need to take into account some specific factors.
The property market fluctuates, and therefore so will the value of your home. The size and condition of your property also plays a major role, as does the way you have presented it for sale.
Online valuation tools are great, as they give you a guide to the value of your home, but they should only be used as that: a guide. They do not take into account variations such as those mentioned above, or if perhaps you have extended your property. If you would like a valuation of your property that truly reflects the current market, contact your local branch.
“It’s easy, I can sell it myself”
Selling homes is a science; there are many things that must be taken into consideration and managed in order to achieve a successful outcome. Yes, if you sell your home privately you may save on fees, but remember what you will lose out on in the process, such as:
- A dedicated expert team who will provide you with honest and realistic advice.
- Negotiators who will ensure they achieve the best possible price for your property.
- A team who are experienced in managing a chain, working with solicitors, and who understand the legal processes.
- A database of buyers who are seeking property in your area.
- Powerful marketing for your property that ensures your home gets in front of the eyes of buyers, via property websites such as Rightmove, social media, our high street windows, and in the local press.
- Also, at Bidmead Cook we have a collection of 13 branches, therefore widening our reach of potential buyers.
“This is my home, people can take it or leave it”
The truth is that they will probably leave it. No one wants to see washing hanging on radiators, bathrooms littered with toiletries and cleaning products, and kitchen surfaces overflowing with appliances and clutter. You may think your home is in a good enough condition to sell, but stay in this frame of mind and you could devalue your property.
If you want to maximise the potential value of your home then it’s time to get to work transforming it into a property for sale. Take inspiration from show homes and magazines; see how they create clutter-free rooms that accentuate the space, and dress them with minimal accessories.
It doesn’t have to cost you a lot of money, just your time; but bear in mind, if you invest in getting your home in tiptop selling shape, you could achieve a higher asking price.
For more tips and advice on selling your home, pop into your local Bidmead Cook branch.